Regardless of whether you are a new or an experienced motorcyclist with years of riding behind you, you need motorcycle insurance to ride on the UK roads. By using this online comparison, you can get quotes from up to 20 bike insurers and check the differing levels of cover.
What types of insurance are there?
Motorcycle insurance is similar to car insurance with the three main policy types, it's always worth checking the policy wording of your bike insurance provider to make sure you know what is and what isn’t covered. The below policy types can be found:
- Third party Motorcycle Insurance – the basic cover level protects damage to another parties’ Motorcycle should you cause an accident and be held responsible. Your bike is not repaired.
- Third party, fire, and theft Motorcycle insurance – as per third party Motorcycle insurance but should your bike be stolen or damaged by fire you can claim against your policy.
- Comprehensive Motorcycle insurance – this covers the above third party, fire, and theft but with the added benefit of covering both you and your bike in the event of an accident if your fault.
The cost of motorcycle insurance
There are many factors which could affect the cost of your Motorcycle insurance.
- Your bike – its make, model, age, and price.
- How you will be using the vehicle – the millage done per year.
- Your personal details – such as your age, home location, where the bike is kept and what you do for a living.
- Your riding history and whether you have built up any no claims discount.
Types of bikes you can insure
- Scooters and mopeds – perfect for city living with low running and maintenance costs.
- Classic bikes – insuring a classic can sometimes reduce the insurance costs due to lower use.
- Sports bikes – bright, loud sports bikes, what many riders aspire to but unfortunately the insurance can be costly.
- Modified Motorcycles insurance – modded bikes can be a little more expensive to insure then the unmodified counterparts.
- Touring bike insurance – if you’ve got a long-distance cruiser making sure you have the insurance to cover the miles you make is important.
No matter what your bike, its worth considering a Motorcycle insurance quote via a comparison site whether its your first policy or your current policy is expiring and you need to continue your cover.